Friday, February 26, 2010

Schoolboy helps mum deliver baby sister in Queenland

  • AAP
  • February 26, 2010 5:38pm

    • Boy helps mum through labour
    • Takes instructions over the phone
    • Delivers baby girl

    AN 11-year-old Queensland boy has delivered one of his mother's premature twin babies.

    Rohan Townsend delivered one of his sisters with instructions from a paramedic over the phone early this morning after his mum went into labour 12 weeks early at their Sunshine Coast home.

    An ambulance crew took mum Amanda Sullivan and the new arrival to Nambour General Hospital after being called to the the family's Bli Bli home at 6.50am (AEST), the Department of Community Safety said.

    Ms Sullivan's second daughter was delivered at the hospital and both girls have since been transferred to the Royal Brisbane Hospital.

    Australian Medical Association (AMA) Queensland president-elect Dr Gino Pecoraro said Rohan had performed an amazing feat for such a youngster.

    "What an amazing young man," he said.

    "How difficult and scary it must be for an 11-year-old to come face to face with his mother having twins and not only twins, but early twins.

    "He certainly should be congratulated as are at least our emergency services people who guided him through that on the phone."

    Dr Pecoraro said he'd be happy to help Rohan become an obstetrician.

    "When he finishes high school and grows up and does medicine if he wants to be an obstetrician get him to give us a call and we will get him on the training program," he said.

    Ms Sullivan, who checked out of Nambour Hospital yesterday, is in on her way to Brisbane to be reunited with her daughters.

  • 5 comments:

    1. Amazing......

      What was the boy's feeling at that moment? How does he done that? The boy is very courageous and calm. From here, i realize that we should not look down at the children. They can do something out of our ability. Everything is possible.

      If i was the boy at the time, I think i will be very scare and panic. I will just call ambulance and done nothing there.

      How about you, guys? What would you do if you were the boy at that moment. Leave your comment here.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Wow! Human always have hidden ability and will show it only in emergency. If I'm the boy, I think I will get the help from the neighbours or maybe I'll faint first because scare of blood. Hahaha...

      ReplyDelete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete
    4. The boy of course deserves a credit for being brave and calm. I think he must be showing his innate ability and I am sure everyone of us possesses potential like him. It just a matter of time to discover our ability. However there is no point being boastful about own capability.We should be humble to learn. I sincerely wish that the boy would continue his endeavor if he really wants to venture into medical career. I wish him good luck.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Maybe I will cry. Maybe I will do whatever mum tell me to do because I dont want to lose my mum and sisters. I will ask help from the others. Or i will just take my early born sisters and rush to the nearby hospital, as fast as I could, perhaps just run. I dont know... i dont wanna leave my mum as well...

      I wanna thumb up for the boy for his ability of being courage and calm. Good work!!!

      ReplyDelete